Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day 1 March 22, 2008

After smoking for 40 years. I have come to the conclusion that it is time to quit smoking once again. Why am I saying Once again? I've quit several times in the past only to start back smoking after a few months of being quit.

For example, I quit smoking on Mar 9, 2007 and started back smoking on July 25, 2007. I had quit for 4 and one half months. My desire to quit wasn't stronger than my desire to start smoking again. I've had several previous quits that have lasted 3 to 4 weeks. Then I would make a decision to start smoking again.

All previous attempts to quit smoking and this one now will be through the "Cold turkey method."

March 22 Day 1.

This is the first time I've stopped smoking without setting a quit date. I decided yesterday It was time to quit smoking. Here it is Saturday Mar 22, 2008.

I woke up early this morning. At 3:00 am to be precise. My first day of being a non smoker. I wash my face and brush my teeth. It's time for a cup of coffee. I drink folgers instant coffee. I have both caffenated and decaf. I always drink caffinated as my first cup each morning. Then go to decaf later in the day.

I drink a few cups of coffee.Then about 10:30 am I have to do a little shopping. The urge to smoke isn't bothering me to much. On a scale of 1- 10. With 10 being the highest craving... The highest craving has been around a 4. I go do a little shopping and run a few errands. I'm back home about 11:00 am. Cravings still aren't bad at all.

I decide to watch the Ncaa basketball tounament on tv. I watch a few games and about 4:00 pm. I'm getting tired. I have to lay down and take a nap. I wake up about 7:30. so " got a good 3 and a half hour nap in. The cravings aren't bad. I'm drinking to much coffee though. I didn't keep up with the exact amount I drinked. If I was to have to guess. I drinked close to 10-14 cups. Didn't smoke all day though. I have to really be careful.

When you stop smoking. Your appetite increases. I gained about 20 pounds last time I quit smoking. I have to really watch out for this. Obesity is about as bad as smoking. I don't want to trade one bad addiction for another. Anyway, I go to bed early about 9:00 pm. First day cold turkey quit. Not bad at all.

Highest craving for the day was about a 6 on a scale from one - ten. Cravings don't last long. I have several methods I use to ease a craving when one occurs. I take a deep breath and hold it for a while then slowly exhale. This always helps. I use those cheap cough drops you can buy at any dollar general store to have something to occupy my mind. You can purchase a bag of 50 of them for about a dollar or a dollar and a half.

I also drink lots of water. This helps. One more thing that helps is I listen to this addiction sermon every morning. It has really helped me. You can listen to it to.. and it's free. You can download it as a mp3, or listen to it as a live stream. Here's the link.
Victory Over Addiction By Ken Elliot
That's about it for today. I will post tommorow again about day 2.

No comments: